Saturday, June 25, 2022

THE ABUSING OF THE CHILDREN HAS BEEN FORGOTTEN

 Well, it looks as though I will win my bet with myself that absolutely nothing will be done for those children at risk in the children's homes across the country. Their stories have been pushed off the front pages (indeed, of all the pages) in the print media by the rather stupid obfuscations of the Attorney General  as to whether or not he lied to a Miami court and by other things. Frankly, I believe that the AG is guilty and can't understand why it is taking so long for people to see that or for him to be fired. But this post is not about Mr. Armour's  (or anybody else's) machinations, it is about the children.

These abused kids are facing individual crises of unimaginable proportions and need help right now. And "now" must mean NOW! Look, if we want to build a country that can be "a shining city on the hill" we have to look out and help the youngest generations. They need our support. Most of them are facing hunger and poverty and some of the most unlucky ones are facing unspeakable abuses ranging from vicious beatings to rape and everything in between. It might be too late to save the older ones, but it isn't too late to save the younger ones. In any case, we should not give up on trying to help the older ones. For crying out loud, they definitely don't deserve to be simply ignored. We MUST HELP.

I am an opinion writer. My purpose is to try and inform the public and maybe change minds. But ultimately I hope to make a difference on important issues and realities. I recognize that it is very difficult to sustain public interest on almost any issue for long enough to make that difference. But I can dream, can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment