Sunday, December 26, 2021

COVID 19 - IS THE END IN SIGHT?

 EVERYONE KNOWS  where I got my medical degree from and what an expert I am in all things relating to medicine and health. ( Hint: its the same place where the Health Minister got his medical degree and scientific knowledge and scientific expertise from!) So, armed with this great knowledge and expertise I have been thinking about this Covid pandemic and how we have been dealing with it so far. To make a long story short, I have been looking at early 20th century history and in particular at the Spanish Flu epidemic that took place around 1920 and lasted for two to three years. 

My reading and my studies (don't laugh: remember that I went to the same place that Minister Deyalsingh got his qualifications  from) have suggested to me that the Spanish Flu was an epidemic that was very similar in every way to the present Covid 19 pandemic. About 50 million people died or were infected by that virus which raged around the world (well, Europe and North America at least) for about three years before eventually dying out.  It seems that the Flu (which actually started in the United States and NOT Spain) started to become less and less severe before eventually becoming nothing more than a serious cold and disappearing from our radars for the last hundred years or so. 

My reading (and please remember my medical qualifications  and expertise when you read this) is that the world probably achieved herd immunity and at the same time the mutating virus became less and less severe and therefore less and less dangerous.  If I am right then it would seem that we are entering now the final stage of this pandemic and that by next Christmas we should more or less be out of the woods, for we already know that the Omricon variant is less dangerous than the Delta variant. If this trend continues then we are indeed nearing the end.

I have not discussed this with my fellow expert (the Minister of Health) but I am fairly certain that if I am right he will not only agree with me but claim credit for the ending of the pandemic.  Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less whether he agrees with me or not. I just want this thing to be over as soon as possible.  (If I turn out to be wrong, then Mr. Deyalsingh will no doubt tell everybody why you shouldn't listen to me - and he'd be right!) So until we know one way or the other just stay safe and get yourself vaccinated. WE are on the planet for only a very short while, but we stay dead for a llooonnnggg time!!

Merry Christmas, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment