Friday, December 2, 2022

THOSE PNM LEADERSIP ELECTIONS

 Try to forget for a moment whether you are a supporter or not of the People's National Movement (PNM).  I know that it's hard, but try and look objectively at this political Party which has dominated T&T's politics for more than 60 years.  With its leadership elections drawing to a close this coming Sunday (4th December) I have been trying to view the Party and its leadership as objectively as I can. I know that half of you will think that I have been too kind to Dr. Rowley and the other half will think that I haven't been harsh enough in what I am about to say. There is an old saying about fools rushing in where angels fear to tread, but I have always looked with scorn on people who are afraid to voice their opinion on any given subject and so I devised a little test for myself which I have decided to share with you on how best to assess Dr. Rowley's leadership of the country. I asked myself nine questions about him and marked each question out of a possible 100 points. So, here goes with my so-called "survey". (I think that when you read it you will understand the questions; the questions are all based on the perception as to how well/badly he is doing today -not yesterday - and are not meant to  compare Dr. Rowley with anybody else):

Political persuasion score                                                     40

Crisis leadership      score                                                    20

Economic management score                                              15 

Moral authority              score                                              20

Industrial relations         score                                              30

Administrative skills      score                                              30

Vision/ability to set an agenda score                                    20

Pursued equal justice for all     score                                   10

Performance within the context of the times score              20


Total overall score                                       185 out of a possible 900 or 20.56 percent


Obviously, I am of the view that the result that I got is a fairly accurate impression of Dr. Rowley's performance as a Prime Minister. Equally obviously, your impression is probably very different from mine. But perhaps you might try and answer the criteria set out to yourself as honestly as you possibly can. After all, nobody but you will see the results and if you are a PNM supporter/voter in the leadership elections if I have made you think then I will have achieved my purpose.

It goes without saying from the above that I believe that Dr. Rowley has failed the country miserably.  If you agree with me, then the next question will be who to put as Party leader. There are two other choices: Ronald Boynes and Karen Teishera. I have already said who I think is the better of these two and why - and it ain't Karen!                   




No comments:

Post a Comment