Monday, September 20, 2021

TO VACCINATE OR NOT TO VACCINATE (that is the question -with apologies to Shakespeare)

 Full disclosure: I was one of those who had vaccine hesitancy. Frankly, I felt that we weren't being told the truth by ANYBODY - including those who are in authority abroad. And, my basic question -why- simply was not being answered.  Or, not answered in a way that to me made sense. So, I sat on my decision to vaccinate or not and waited until I could be satisfied one way or another. After all, the best advice always is 'when in doubt, don't'! And I wasn't about to put anything in my body that I wasn't sure about. 

So? What changed? The truth is absolutely nothing. But after reviewing time and again all the arguments both for and against, I came to the conclusion that perhaps the safer way to go was indeed to vaccinate. I had spoken to a lot of doctors - all of whom said yes, vaccinate. I had also read all the arguments both for and against vaccinating and had noticed that every argument that I could find against vaccination was based either on anecdotal evidence or on so-called 'reports' that I could not find anywhere else other than from the persons who had sent them to me but the arguments in favour were almost always backed up by science.

Put another way, the evidence that the vaccines were/are safe greatly outweighed the evidence that they were/are not. Now, I am fully aware that an argument that I find compelling is not one that you might consider in that regard. In other words, for an argument to convince the other person, it must be presented in such a manner that he/she finds compelling, not what the proponent of the argument believes to be the truth. I am also aware that if you cannot say something in one sentence then you cannot say it at all. You may need a paragraph, a chapter or even a whole book to explain your sentence, butif you cannot make your point in one sentence then you cannot say it at all.

So in one sentence, my point is that all the scientific evidence (to me) points to the fact that it appears safer to get the vaccine than not to get it and that the stories (like those of Nicki Minaj about swollen testicles, etc.) ought to be discarded unless and until scientific evidence is produced that proves the point. You have every right to disagree with me on this. After all, it is your body! And for the record, this does not mean that I agree with the T&T Government's response and how it has handled this crisis. But that's another story.


No comments:

Post a Comment