Wednesday, October 7, 2020

BENCHMARKS

 It is impossible to comment intelligently on Mr. Imbert's latest budget without being accused by one side or the other of being biased. Those who think it was a good budget will be criticized by those who think it was a lousy one ... and vice versa. In true Trini style these criticisms will be laced with personal insults and other invectives.

But what is noticeable is the complete lack of benchmarks. Indeed, nobody over the last six budgets seems to have paid attention to this point. How can anyone say that the Minister will fail if we don't have agreed benchmarks setting out what we expect/hope to happen, say, within the next six months? The next nine months? The next twelve months? What is the measure of success against which we are placing the Governments economic proposals and plans for the next year? Will it be, for example, the creation of a thousand new jobs? Or will it be considered a success if no more jobs are lost? If 'only' a thousand jobs are lost?

I have been listening very carefully to both Government supporters as well as it's opponents. If you fall in the former camp the message is that it is the best that can be done in all the circumstances in this COVID and falling oil and gas prices era. If you fall in the latter camp you will say that the budget was lackluster and has done nothing to give our citizenry any hope whatsoever.

So? What is the truth? I don't know. I'm not an economist and I find that what little brain I have seems to work very differently from the ways that the brains of those who occupy the lofty financial heights of our economy do regardless of whichever side they fall. But I have always found that the best questions are always the ones that go to the root of whatever problem those questions are considering. And I have always found that it is always best to ask what exactly are the benchmarks? What will show us before the end of your experiment (or whatever) whether or not you are succeeding or failing? 

It is unquestionable that we are in deep, deep trouble. And we are looking to our Government (and yes, it is 'our' Government whether you voted for them or not) for leadership. Only the most crass and unpatriotic are hoping that our Government will fail. But, it cannot be unpatriotic to ask them to explain not only their plans, but, what  they say will be the benchmarks by which we can judge them as to whether they are failing or succeeding. And, please; I don't want to hear about the UNC and how they might have done better or worse. Dr. Rowley and his people are in charge ... whether you like it or not! It is up to them to lead us out of this morass in which we find ourselves. I have said it before and I'll say it again: the only test of leadership is to lead, and to lead vigoursly. So, to the Rowley regime I say two things: the first is to lead, follow or get out of the way. The second thing is to ask them what are their benchmarks? What are their standards by which we can judge them as to whether they are succeeding or failing?



1 comment:

  1. Mr. Montano, I am like you. I don't have a degree or anything like that in economics and I really don't care much for politics. All I want is to live my life in peace ... not pieces. But for me and my family, life is slowly but steadily getting harder and more expensive. I'm losing hope.

    ReplyDelete