Saturday, February 10, 2024

STANDING BY MY RIGHTS

 I have received a report that my last post (headed ' An Interesting Year') has annoyed Mrs. Persad Bissessar so much that she has given instructions to try to have my post removed from Facebook. Now, I have no way of knowing if that is true or not, but assuming (though certainly NOT accepting) that there is some truth in that report then all I can say is that assuming the report is true surely the proper thing to do would be to get in touch with me directly and ask me to remove it giving reasons why it is considered offensive.

I have reread the post and must confess that while it might appear critical of Mrs. Persad Bissessar I can see no reason why I should withdraw it. If there is anything ... ANYTHING .... that is remotely untrue then I do most humbly apologize and withdraw the offensive remark(s), whatever it or they might be. But the last time I looked, giving an opinion (whether offensive or not) was certainly not illegal so long as it was not defamatory. And I must say that I don't see anything remotely defamatory in my post. Put another way, I stand by my absolute right to have an opinion and share it subject always to the law of defamation.

No comments:

Post a Comment