Friday, November 11, 2022

SUE ME IF YOU DARE, MADAM SPEAKER

 It is time to remove the Speaker of the House of Representatives. Parliament is supposed to be a place where matters of public importance are discussed and debated. But this Speaker, sensing that the present administration is vulnerable to some high profile licks, is almost continuously looking to use her office to protect the Government. She is SUPPOSED TO BE NEUTRAL, for crying out loud! 

What could be more urgent for Parliament to discuss than crime? Flooding? Well apparently she doesn't think so either. She shut down a debate on crime last week and now has decided that the flooding that several hundred thousand people have recently suffered is not definite, nor is it urgent, nor is it a matter of public importance!! So, Madam Speaker, what is definite, urgent and of public importance in your book? You can't answer that and make sense, can you?

Look, I have court house clothes. I invite Bridgette Anisette George, the Speaker of the House to sue me for defamation for what I am about to write: You, Madam Speaker are not fit to be a Speaker of the House of Representatives in Trinidad & Tobago. You are incompetent, biased and awful at your job. You seem to think that you are the last bastion of defence for a failing and incompetent Government, and you are using your office  corruptly to stifle legitimate debate. And yes, by doing what you are doing that is corruption. Sue me for saying that you are corrupt. I dare you. But I would remind you of the case of Oscar Wilde more than a hundred years ago.

In that case, Oscar Wilde, who was a famous author and playwright, was also a homosexual at a time when homosexuality was a crime on the statute books of England. He (Wilde) was having an affair with the son of the Marquis of Queensbury (of boxing's Queensbury rules). The Marquis went to Wilde and begged him to leave his son alone. The Marquis said that he (Wilde) was a wealthy and famous man and could have anybody he wanted, but please leave his son alone. Wilde (rather arrogantly) sent the Marquis away with the proverbial flea in his ear.

But the Marquis wasn't done. He went all over London saying that Wilde was a homosexual (and remember, this was at a time when homosexuality was against the law). Wilde sued for defamation AND LOST! The truth and fair comment is a defence in defamation matters. The authorities took note of the civil case and launched a criminal case against Wilde. He was found guilty and sent to prison in the town of Reading, where he wrote what was arguably his most famous poem - The Ballad of Reading Gaol. After serving his time on being released Wilde went into a self-imposed exile in France where he died a few years later.

So just to be clear, Madam Speaker, I am saying that your refusal to allow urgent debates on either crime or flooding is motivated by your very obvious political biases rather than any reasoned thought. And I am saying that because your motives in refusing these debates was to protect the Government rather than to allow free debate in Parliament, In other words, your motives were corrupt and as a result you are guilty of corruption. 

Sue me if you dare. My defence will be the truth and fair comment. (But you already knew that.) And let us instruct our lawyers to fast track this case. I will readily agree to just about anything that causes it to be heard in record time. I hereby waive my right to a pre-action protocol letter. File your writ now. I will not apologize and will continue to say what I have said here all over the world. And if your lawyers decide to apply for an ex parte injunction to prevent me from repeating what I have said here, please show this article to the honourable Judge and tell him (or her) that I would like to be heard at the ex parte hearing. {For your information (although I shouldn't be giving you legal advice)  if you do not comply with my request I can go ex parte before the same Judge and have the injuction thrown out.} 

But I don't want to waste time. Let's get this show on the road. I challenge you. Sue me, if you dare.

P.S. I hope you don't use Government monies to fund this litigation.


No comments:

Post a Comment